[C-safe-secure-studygroup] The problem with MISRA is...

Kostya Serebryany kcc at google.com
Tue Feb 21 23:47:29 UTC 2017

On Fri, Feb 17, 2017 at 7:14 AM, Andrew Banks <andrew at andrewbanks.com>
wrote:

> Hi all,
>

> It is apparent from the various calls and discussions that some people
> have ‘issues’ with MISRA – especially as an organisation…
>

> So let me put my head in the lion’s mouth, and ask a pair of simple
> questions:
>

>                 What is the problem with MISRA?
>
>                 What is the problem with MISRA C?

The website where the MISRA C:2012 PDF file needs to be purchased is
extremely inconvenient and counter-intuitive,
the purchased file is delivered 3 days after the payment (file, not a hard
copy!!!).
By itself this is tolerable, but indicates an overall lack of interest in
new readers.

The resulting PDF file has "disabled copy" feature.
I guess they are doing it to avoid leaking parts of the priceless document,
but
it also makes it unreasonably hard to work with the document and discuss
it.
They (probably) have full right to do so; but it makes me less inclined to
come close to this PDF.

--kcc