[C-safe-secure-studygroup] The problem with MISRA is...

Paul Sherwood paul.sherwood at codethink.co.uk
Wed Feb 22 08:49:50 UTC 2017

Hi Andrew
On 2017-02-17 15:14, Andrew Banks wrote:
> It is apparent from the various calls and discussions that some people
> have 'issues' with MISRA - especially as an organisation…
>
> So let me put my head in the lion's mouth, and ask a pair of simple
> questions:
>
>                 What is the problem with MISRA?

I believe that MISRA's licensing and charging is a barrier to wider
adoption. For example, it restricts this discussion somewhat.

I have spent some time discussing with you and other MISRA members the
possibility of MISRA opening its IP for wider consumption, in either or
both of the following ways:

1) offer the output documents in the open, for no charge.
2) re-licence the work to something widely used (eg one of the Creative
Commons licences) so that it can be re-used in derivative works

Incidentally I found the MISRA community/forum rather disappointing. It
took weeks for me to gain access to the forum (manual authorisation,
presumably admin was on xmas break). And on joining I did not see a
single response there to my mention of this discussion group. Today I
find the forum seems to be down.

>                 What is the problem with MISRA C?

The main direction of this group is towards making C programs both safe
and secure, which I understand to be beyond the scope of MISRA C. From
previous discussions here and elsewhere I believe that this requires a
new body of work.

br
Paul