[C-safe-secure-studygroup] Adoption by GCC and LLVM

Jim MacArthur jim.macarthur at codethink.co.uk
Fri Jan 6 17:16:31 UTC 2017

We spoke on Wednesday about trying to get GCC and Clang (LLVM's C front
end) to perform checks of whatever parts of the standard are testable by
static analysis. I was able to find one post asking for MISRA C
checking, about 11 years ago:
https://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc/2005-11/msg00993.html. The responses are
generally against incorporating MISRA C at that time, although most of
the arguments are about the content of the standard itself rather than
the general question of testing for standards other than C11/C99/ANSI C.

http://clang-analyzer.llvm.org/available_checks.html states that the C
static analyser for LLVM has tests based on CERT-C, although they are
not exactly or entirely CERT-C.

The context was whether or not charging for the standard would be a
problem for the adoption by GCC or LLVM; in short, I don't think it
would be a big problem as it's likely neither would explicitly implement
the standard. There don't seem to be any philosophical problems with
implementing individual rules from a non-free standard in either project.

I'll make a post on the GCC mailing list and see if anything has changed.

Jim