[C-safe-secure-studygroup] On MISRA C:2012 Rule 8.14

Roberto Bagnara bagnara at cs.unipr.it
Wed Jun 28 06:23:18 UTC 2017

MISRA C:2012 Rule 8.14:
The restrict type qualifier shall not be used

The point is that if the restrict qualifier is misused the
result is that the compiled code will behave in a way that
is not what was expected.

This is one of the rules for which the MISRA deviation process
(which, let me repeat it, is a crucial part of the whole thing)
is normally used:

- restrict is normally allowed in selected libraries;
- restrict is normally disallowed in application code
  (where a small extra bit of efficiency cannot be traded
  for safety or security).

P.S./O.T. I will be traveling at the wrong time of the day today:
          depending on traffic, I may arrive late at the meeting.

--
     Prof. Roberto Bagnara

Applied Formal Methods Laboratory - University of Parma, Italy
mailto:bagnara at cs.unipr.it
                              BUGSENG srl - http://bugseng.com
                              mailto:roberto.bagnara at bugseng.com