[C-safe-secure-studygroup] What Developers Want and Need from Program Analysis: An Empirical Study

Robert Seacord rcseacord at gmail.com
Fri Oct 6 15:55:26 BST 2017

>From 2016..

“After finalizing the questions, we sent invitations to answer the survey
to 2,000 developers selected at random across all of Microsoft. The survey
was anonymous as this increases response rates [52] and leads to more
candid responses. As incentives have been shown to increase participation
[51], respondents could enter themselves into a raffle to win four $50
Amazon gift cards. We received 375 responses to the final survey, yielding
a 19% response rate. Other online surveys in software engineering have
reported response rates from 14% to 20% [48].”

-        Security top issue they want detected

-        Wrong checks on by default top pain point

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/research/wp-content/uploads/2016/07/What-Developers-Want-and-Need-from-Program-Analysis-An-Empirical-Study.pdf