[C-safe-secure-studygroup] what constitutes a rule violation?

Fulvio Baccaglini fbaccaglini at perforce.com
Thu Jul 12 18:51:16 BST 2018

On Thu, 2018-07-12 at 10:55 -0600, Martin Sebor wrote:
> Does MISRA really expect a diagnostic here if the analyzer
> doesn't know what the definition of f() looks like?  Are
> engineers coding to MISRA really expected and willing to accept
> such diagnostics and put effort into going through the deviation
> process for each instance of what is a pervasive idiom?

MISRA C:2012 section 6.1 says "a rule is a guideline for which a
complete description of the requirement has been provided". This
includes providing the required source code. So I would argue that if
this information is not provided, then the question "does this example
violate Rule 9.1" cannot be answered. IMO from a MISRA perspective,
when information is missing, the question is not how a tool can/should
enforce rules, but how a tool can/should assist the user in complying
with directives.