[C-safe-secure-studygroup] Proposal: Any spec from this group should be available for download at no cost (need to talk with ISO)

Laurence Urhegyi Laurence.Urhegyi at codethink.co.uk
Fri Jul 20 19:01:15 BST 2018

Hi all,

A recent tweet from a colleague reminded me of this thread, and reminded me that
it's a topic I've wanted to re-visit for some time, as I don't think we ever
really agreed on a way forward.

https://twitter.com/devcurmudgeon/status/1020270488398987264

I'm sure the constraints outlined in this scenario won't be unfamiliar to some
people on this list. You just can't help but feel that it's a 'closed shop', and
a pretty expensive one, too. Personally, I feel it'd be a really positive
contribution to the standards world if the output of this group could be free
and open source, and not just another for-pay standard. Added to this that a lot
of my own contribution to this group has been from my free time, and so I feel
strongly that the output should be able to be consumed for free.

I'll add to our next agenda, where we can weigh up our options.

Laurence