[C-safe-secure-studygroup] Implement Misra C Rule 2.3 A project should not contain unused type declarations by GCC

Wilson, Charles Charles.Wilson at draeger.com
Thu Jul 26 13:36:05 BST 2018

The gcc compiler has no means of warning for non-scoped (function) type aliasing.

MISRA C 2.3 is advisory.

As noted in the standard, it speaks to a matter of clarity.

That being said, <stdint.h> contains dozens of aliases, most of which are never used in the vast majority of code.

Within the scope of a function the rule make sense as its scope is limited.