[C-safe-secure-studygroup] Next Steps for the group - Update to WG14

Aaron Ballman aaron at aaronballman.com
Sat Sep 22 19:20:50 BST 2018

I agree, this is an excellent start. Thank you Laurence and Clive!

>> Some attempt has been made to begin writing - or 're-framing' - the rules so
that they would be suitable for static analysis tools, but not much
progress has been made here
> Not sure what’s meant by this.

I think this is talking about the fact that some MISRA rules are
machine checkable, but not in a practical sense over a very large code
base (scaling issues, essentially). For instance, identifier
uniqueness over the entire code base can be difficult to deal with in
large code bases with lots of identifiers. This may also be touching
on some of the things Martin has brought up regarding acceptable false
positive rates for various analyzers.

~Aaron