[trustable-software] Dark Patterns for unethical user interfaces

Niall Dalton niall.dalton at gmail.com
Mon Aug 1 01:26:25 UTC 2016

Whatever faults we may find with it, I'm sure it'd improve the quality of
our profession if most software engineers tried to live up to that. I like
to think that, in absence of any formal thinking around, most people try.

However, what worries me is the vocal minority concerned with their
"personal brand", the conference circuit, and their next promotion, that
have an undue influence on technology common used by developers. I fear it
may take a large-scale (un)natural disaster, from piled software on
real-world things connected to networks, before we step back and realize
the direction we're collectively headed is not ok.