[trustable-software] OpenControl, Mustard

Paul Sherwood paul.sherwood at codethink.co.uk
Thu Sep 15 09:13:23 UTC 2016

On 2016-09-12 16:52, Niall Dalton wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 12, 2016 at 7:23 AM, Paul Sherwood
> <paul.sherwood at codethink.co.uk [1]> wrote:
>
>> Im starting to imagine a whole framework of metadata flow from
>> compliance and requirements, through build instructions to test
>> specifications, with YAML as the lingua franca, and everything in
>> Git.
>
> ​This sounds like a vast improvement over the depressingly common
> management by Jira approach (where Jira tends to be some ad hoc mix
> of
> jira+confluence+plugins). I think keeping these close to the code is
> not only preferable for the engineers, it enables tooling, and also
> prevents management from inhaling their own fumes too frequently.

Agreed. I dislike much of the de-facto management tooling that has
grown up over the decades, since it usually doesn't reflect truth about
the target software.

> Id encourage you to go further than build+test though -- e.g. through
> deployment image creation (such as a rkt or docker container file)
> and
> clustering (e.g. kubernetes pod spec).

Yup, definitely. For some usecases, especially embedded, we likely need
different tools, but the steps are conceptually the same.

Incidentally, I've asked a couple of colleagues to do some actual
research into this concept - hopefully they'll show up here over the
coming days.

br
Paul