[trustable-software] From security to safety, or the other way around?

Colin Robbins colin.robbins at qonex.com
Thu Sep 29 11:59:50 UTC 2016

Hello,

>From my experience, the debate about how a standard is produced is a red-herring.   I worked on both ISO committees, IETF groups, Open Group and probably others over time.

The critical part is adoption.   A standard is pointless unless widely adopted by the community it targets.
I've seen good ISO standards not adopted, poor ISO standards adopted, some Open Group standards widely deployed, and others not used etc.

>From what I've seen MSRA C is well supported by software verification tools - therefore in that context, as a standards it is a success - it has a body of followers that choose to implement its recommendations.
This does not say anything to whether it is a good or bad standard that helps meet goals of better software.

So I'd argue we should be prepared to adopt and enhance ANY standard, irrespective of how its produced, it if meets our identified objectives.

The X.509 security standard pretty much works like this.  It was defined by ISO using their adopted processes.  The IETF community liked the framework, but needed a more agile approach to evolving the standard, so defined a set of RFC's using their own processes that effectively added to / modified the ISO standard.

Regards,

Colin Robbins
Nexor.