[trustable-software] ***SPAM*** Re: From security to safety or the other way around?

Robert Seacord Robert.Seacord at nccgroup.trust
Thu Sep 29 13:04:26 UTC 2016

The criticism I leveraged below against MISRA has also been leveraged against CERT C.  While I was at CERT, we followed a community process but at the end of the day I had the final say over what went into the standard and what did not.  While most people agreed I was a benevolent dictator, this process was unacceptable to many including government agencies that required that any standard they adopted be developed by a recognized standards body.  Now that I have left CERT, the situation has become worse because the people left in charge are almost exclusively motivated by revenue which I think history shows can run contrary to safety and security.

MISRA is worse in many regards.  I've long been frustrated by my inability to quote the title of a MISRA rule in an academic or other publication.  This prohibition (and others) clearly inhibits the free discussion and exchange of ideas required to produce a serviceable standard.

You can purchase a version of my book (and God bless if you do) but The SEI CERT C Coding Standard can be downloaded for free from http://www.sei.cmu.edu/downloads/sei-cert-c-coding-standard-2016-v01.pdf  and the development occurs on a public wiki at https://www.securecoding.cert.org/

The contents of the CERT C Coding Standard have already been contributed to ISO/IEC and formed the foundation of ISO/IEC TS 17961.   In a few weeks, WG14 will meet in Pittsburgh, PA and will discuss the future of this document and other documents.  One possibility, is that the committee could form a study group to evolve this document into a safety / security statement as an international standard.  Study Groups allow for work to be performed in a less formal and more productive manner.  We could, for example, make all the materials available as an open source document and let any interested parties contribute freely.

Thanks,
rCs