[trustable-software] Another straw man...

Colin Robbins Colin.Robbins at nexor.com
Tue Jul 4 13:50:14 UTC 2017

Hello Paul,

I think the workflow is great for a traditional software development model.
However, more recently I've been looking at trustable software in the contest of containers (Docker and the like).    Let's put aside whether containers are a trustable approach for the moment.

Within a Docker environment, as the developer I build my container (or set of containers) and put them in a registry.
The customer then decides if they like (and trust) my container, and download it for deployment.
As such, I think the model has two separated workflows...

( --C1--> indicating Check 1 on your slide set)

Scope --C1--> architecture --C2-->  development & integration --C3--> publication  -- C4A

Retrieval --C4B-->  validation --C4C-->  deployment  --C5

In this way I think the validation activity splits into subset.
C4A - evidence that what is published is what the developer intended
C4B - evidence that what is retrieved is what the developer intended
C4C - your original 4.

This may be making if overly complicated, but I think adds recognition of the supply chain into the model.

Does this help?

Colin Robbins
Nexor

Tel: +44 (0) 115 953 5541