[trustable-software] What's happening?

Chris Lamb lamby at debian.org
Wed Jun 21 16:42:19 UTC 2017

Dear all,

> > Thankfully there is some traction via community projects. The Debian
> > leader, Chris Lamb (in CC), is active in this respect.
>
> Ack. Would love to see even more traction. Without reproducible builds,
> we have no way to be sure a system contains (only) what we think it
> does.

Indeed. Also difficult to ensure that academic software referenced in
published papers is externally verifiable and remains so many years on.

Moreover, as a reproducible build does not vary arbitrarily, it is surely
essential in large-scale public infrastructure - I wouldn't want to push
out any kind of update to a hydroelectric dam or nuclear reactor without
knowing *exactly* what was changing at the binary level!

(By "love to see even more traction" do you mean in general, or...?)

Regards,

--
      ,''`.
     : :'  :     Chris Lamb, Debian Project Leader