[trustable-software] We've got this all wrong !

MacIntosh, JP j.macintosh at ucl.ac.uk
Mon Apr 16 11:56:41 BST 2018

Edmund is right, we need an empiricist system. Ironically, we actually live in one & always have done but the contrived split between in vivo & in vitro or wild & lab that's prevailed in science for a few centuries has obscured that. Now the blinkers are coming off. The first reaction is utter bafflement at the complexity of reality, which refuses to stop changing. It's always done so but we'd rendered ourselves insensate to that. We can now pick up concepts like Synthetic Environments based on principles of Verification & Validation anew. What was formerly the province of the defence sector because it was too big complicated & expensive, is now within the grasp of the many. Before we experience another "agile" gold rush, we need people like your good selves to think how design an evolutionary framework along the lines Edmund is suggesting. It's not a council of perfection or despair. Given the stakes are always rising & the mess left from the recent few decades, there's plenty of incentive to work from a low base & achieve significant gains. Ever the optimist but the very fact you guys are having such a conversation & recognising the challenges for what they are gives me some confidence we're not being idealistic at all. The mother of necessity is sure to bite. J

Professor JP MacIntosh
Leadership Professorial Research Fellow, OVPR &
Director of the Institute for Strategy, Resilience & Security

+44 (0)20 3108 5068 (D1)
+44 (0)20 3108 5074 (D2)