[trustable-software] Best-practice for Reviews: Review-Then-Commit vs Commit-then-Review

Paul Sherwood paul.sherwood at codethink.co.uk
Wed Apr 18 11:23:17 BST 2018

Hi folks,
while not quite as exciting as Edmund's 'there are never any
requirements' bombshell, I've been directed to some research [1] and [2]
about how Apache evolved its review process and found it extremely
interesting.

The TL; DR is that review friction led them to two different paths to
mainline:
- CTR: 'core developers' can commit direct to mainline if they are
confident in their proposed changes
- RTC: all changes from other developers get reviewed first, along with
'core developers' more complex/risky changes

This seems to clear up a little mystery that had been bothering me; when
a project starts from scratch, people rarely bother with reviews and
arguably it's not really a good use of time. Reviews start to matter at
the point where breakages will have repercussions. But by the time that
happens, there's already a set of 'core developers' who know the
software way better than most, and end up disproportionately loadsd with
reviews of less qualified contributors' work. This two-path approach
seems to address both underlying problems.

br
Paul

[1]
https://www.computer.org/csdl/proceedings/icse/2008/4486/00/04814165.pdf