[trustable-software] Additional requirement for trustability

Paul Sherwood paul.sherwood at codethink.co.uk
Fri Aug 24 08:57:50 BST 2018

Hi all,

I think the original call-to-action has served quite well [1] in helping
us to establish that for trustability we need to consider:

- Functionality (we know what it does);
- Security* (we know what it does, it does what it's supposed to do, we
can update it with confidence, we know where it comes from);
- Reliability (it does what it is supposed to do);
- Provenance (we know where it comes from);
- Reproducibility (we know how to build it and can reproduce it);
- Safety (does not cause harm);

On reflection I'm thinking that there is a significant area missing,
though:

- Legality (complies with applicable standards/laws);

Assuming no-one disagrees, I'm going to update to the homepage to
reflect this, and add legality/compliance into the logical model we've
been developing.

While I'm on, are there any other suggestions to improve the
homepage/mission statement?

br
Paul

[1] https://trustable.gitlab.io