[trustable-software] Additional requirement for trustability

Will Barnard will.barnard at codethink.co.uk
Tue Aug 28 16:11:41 BST 2018

On 24/08/18 08:57, Paul Sherwood wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I think the original call-to-action has served quite well [1] in
> helping us to establish that for trustability we need to consider:
>
> - Functionality (we know what it does);
> - Security* (we know what it does, it does what it's supposed to do,
> we can update it with confidence, we know where it comes from);
> - Reliability (it does what it is supposed to do);
> - Provenance (we know where it comes from);
> - Reproducibility (we know how to build it and can reproduce it);
> - Safety (does not cause harm);
>
> On reflection I'm thinking that there is a significant area missing,
> though:
>
> - Legality (complies with applicable standards/laws);
These may be related but I am not sure that these are the same thing.
The software may or may not be compliant with a particular standard.
Compliance with a standard may or may not be a legal requirement
depending upon the jurisdiction.

In any case, we can consider compliance with a standard as a set of
requirements, I am not sure we gain much by treating standards or legal
requirements in a different way to other requirements.