[trustable-software] I fear we need trustable hardware too...

Daniel Silverstone daniel.silverstone at codethink.co.uk
Thu Jan 4 11:25:03 GMT 2018

On Thu, Jan 04, 2018 at 11:10:21 +0000, Paul Sherwood wrote:
> But I'm interested to get others' thoughts on this, in the aftermath...
>
> - are we wasting our time?

No, because not every processor is affected by things like Spectre.  I
would like to be able to trust firmware on Cortex-M devices too :-)

> - is there any of what we are thinking about that re-applies to hardware?

A lot of the process I imagine could apply to hardware, though I have little
experience of the processes they already have so don't know how well they'd
mesh in.  Tracking and tracing requirements, design, and implementation (which
in a modern world is often more like software given high level description
languages such as VHDL, Verilog, etc) seem sensible no matter the eventual
output.

Heck, most of the thoughts we've put into trustable software apply just as well
to documentation :-)

D.

--
Daniel Silverstone                           http://www.codethink.co.uk/
Solutions Architect               GPG 4096/R Key Id: 3CCE BABE 206C 3B69