[trustable-software] I fear we need trustable hardware too...

Colin Robbins Colin.Robbins at nexor.com
Thu Jan 4 11:53:59 GMT 2018

Hi Paul,

From my perspective, trustable "anything" has dependencies, and a key factor in determining trust is how well can you understand trust the dependencies.

Software depends on hardware.
So you have to either trust the hardware, or build the software such that it minimises the trust in the hardware.
Meltdown + Spectre are side channel attacks.   In the crypto world, side channels have been know about for a long time, and the "trustable" crypto suppliers will have designed controls (hardware or software) to reduce the risk.

I think this is an example of the point I tried to make yesterday - security changes over time, and new vulnerabilities are discovered.  The trustable solutions are ones that have anticipated potential, undiscovered, vulnerabilities and offer mitigations (but you can't directly validate by testing).  It's what high grade crypto does, but also why its expensive.

Regards,

Colin Robbins
Nexor