[trustable-software] Fwd: Clarification of restrictions regarding purchase of IEC 61508

devcurmudgeon devcurmudgeon at gmail.com
Mon Jul 30 10:05:25 BST 2018

Amazing.

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: IEC Sales Department <sales at iec.ch>
Date: 30 July 2018 at 09:41
Subject: RE: Clarification of restrictions regarding purchase of IEC 61508
To: devcurmudgeon <devcurmudgeon at gmail.com>

Dear Mr. Sherwood,

Thank you for your inquiries.

Our replies are as follows:

1. Yes, the content may only be read by one person because you bought a
single user licence.

2. Yes, the licence you bought (single user) only permits one copy of each
standard, these printed copies may be shared internally with your
colleagues, however, they are not authorized to make any further copies.

3. The pdf may be accessed by more than one person if you have a licence
that will permit this type of access.

Please note that a single user licence won't permit other people to access
the files, it will only authorize one person.

If you want to share the files with your colleagues, you must buy a
networking licence, in your case, we could upgrade the licence you bought
to the number of users you need, you would only have to pay the difference.
Please click here
<https://webstore.iec.ch/Webstore/webstore.nsf/xpFAQ.xsp?OpenXPage&id=GFOT-7NPP8H>
for information on networking.

4. As I mentioned in point 2, if you have a single user licence, you may
only print one copy of each file, you can share these copies with your
colleagues, however, they may not print any further copies.

On the other hand, if you buy, for example, an up to three simultaneous
user licence, you will be able to print 3 copies of each file. With this
type of licence, you may place the files in your intranet so a maximum of
three people can access the files simultaneously. If you have an up to 5
simultaneous user licence, you will be able to print 5 copies of each file
and a maximum of 5 people can access the pdf files you place in your
intranet, simultaneously and so on…

If you buy a simultaneous user licence, the people accessing the files
don't have to always be the same, the number of simultaneous users, though,
must be respected.

5. In this case, since a single user licence was bought, the only person
who is authorized to access the pdf file, is the person who's name has been
watermarked it. Anybody can read the printed copy though.

6. Single user licences (which has been bought by your company,
specifically by your colleague Mr. Mr. Stephen Jones), only authorizes the
person who's name appears in the watermark, to access the files, no other
person may have access, because it's a single user licence (this refers to:
""personal devices whose access is limited to your personal use"). When an
account is created, the buyer enters his company name which will be used by
our system when watermarking the files, this doesn't mean that the licence
is authorizing the whole company to access the files. Access is limited to
an individual unless he/she buys a networking licence which will permit his
colleagues to access the files he is buying. The total number of
simultaneous users will depend on how many people need to access the files
at a time.

Please note that Mr. Jones bought a single user licence which should only
authorize him to access the pdf files, however, if you need to share them
with other colleagues, there is no problem, we can upgrade the licence, you
only have to let us know the total number of simultaneous users.

We will then prepare a pro forma for the upgrading of the licence that was
already bought, so you pay the difference.

We're looking forward to your reply.

Best regards,

*Marcela Gómez*

Customer Service Representative

*[image: International Electrotechnical Commission]* <http://www.iec.ch/>

IEC - International Electrotechnical Commission | 3 rue de Varembé
<https://maps.google.com/?q=3+rue+de+Varemb%C3%A9&entry=gmail&source=g> |
PO Box 131 | CH–1211 Geneva 20 | Switzerland | T +41 22 919 0211 | e-tech
magazine <http://iecetech.org/> | website <http://www.iec.ch/> | webstore
<https://webstore.iec.ch/>