[trustable-software] Need for "trustable software" mentioned during UK House of Lords discussion

Paul Sherwood paul.sherwood at codethink.co.uk
Tue Nov 20 16:58:21 GMT 2018

During Artificial Intelligence Select Committee discussion yesterday [1]
Lord Reid said:

"Ultimately, we might need a GDPR-equivalent for active machine learning
systems to link their function to a human controller to ensure that
organisations and individuals have protective and proportionate control
processes in place. We might refer to the concept of that clear chain of
responsibility, linking an audit of the specifications, code, testing
and function to responsible individuals, as “trustable software”. Recent
developments, including distributed ledger technology—blockchain to the
uninitiated—would permit oversight to be implemented relatively easily.​

In an age where software is at the heart of our infrastructure, where
these systems are both non-deterministic and fully interconnected, AI
needs a responsible human “parent”. Whoever that “parent” might be, it
will require a “trustable” process to introduce auditability,
accountability and, ultimately, responsibility."

https://hansard.parliament.uk/Lords/2018-11-19/debates/7E2052B3-2ED8-46A2-9BCE-707F674DF67A/ArtificialIntelligence(SelectCommitteeReport)