[trustable-software] Childish first steps on public STPA for vehicles.

Paul Sherwood paul.sherwood at codethink.co.uk
Wed Oct 3 08:52:13 BST 2018

Hi folks,

Shaun and I have begun attempting to learn the STPA method [1] for
safety/hazard analysis. Codethink has recently joined a consortium to
collaborate with MIT on some public STPA research for autonomous
vehicles, which is expected to provide outputs during next year.

In parallel with this we will attempt to document our thinking in repos
hosted with the trustable group at gitlab, and testing out some of the
tooling and concepts we've been discussing and evolving here over the
last couple of years - so at least we'll have evidence of traceability,
provenance, review/approvals and policy and  some (example) tests in CI.

Shaun's work, focusing on autonomous, is underway at [3]. My efforts are
at [2]. Obviously these initial steps are naive and we have lots to
learn.

But I'm already interested to note that just comparing the top-level
losses/hazards one obvious difference is that the "driver distraction"
hazard doesn't seem to apply for fully autonomous.

br
Paul

[1] http://sunnyday.mit.edu/STPA-Primer-v0.pdf
[2]