[trustable-software] System vs component properties: Safety

Paul Sherwood paul.sherwood at codethink.co.uk
Thu Sep 27 13:50:23 BST 2018

On 2018-09-10 12:16, Shaun Mooney wrote:
> I totally agree. After studying the MIT work it's easy to see that it
> cuts out a lot of the main flaws with SIL based safety and making
> safety a systems design problem is clearly the way forward.
>
> Summarising all of the STPA material and creating a re-useable, easy
> to follow tool for a safety system seems like the best thing that we
> can be doing.

As I continue my random walk across the internet I discovered Sam
Procter's work [1] and [2]. The short story is that he and colleagues
propose a further derivative improvement based on STPA, which treats
security and safety together while claiming to involve less duplication
of effort, more rigour, and a step towards use of formal methods.

As usual I hit my own brick wall for the formal/maths part, but I've
emailed Sam directly to see if there's an idiot's guide we might benefit
from.

br
Paul

[1]
https://samprocter.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/08/safe-and-secure.pdf
[2]
https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Sam_Procter/publication/308920238_A_Development_and_Assurance_Process_for_Medical_Application_Platform_Apps/links/57f7b53a08ae886b89835d97/A-Development-and-Assurance-Process-for-Medical-Application-Platform-Apps.pdf