[trustable-software] The Elephant In the Elevator Pitch

Paul Sherwood paul.sherwood at codethink.co.uk
Fri Mar 29 09:36:22 GMT 2019

Hi all
I'm replying to Edmund's "What is Trustable About" email, but I hope you
may agree that my subject line is more interesting :-)

I've been attempting to come up with an "Elevator Pitch" for Trustable
for ages. My understanding is that the term is shorthand for "you're in
an elevator with a potential investor/customer - you have until the
elevator doors open to get them interested in your product/service".

 From this I take it that we have 30-60 seconds to get our point across.
That's 75-150 words. Here goes:

"If the elevator that we are in were to fall and crash into the floor
due to mechanical or civil engineering failure, our families and friends
would expect that subsequently it would be possible to establish what
had gone wrong, which standards and laws were broken, and who was
accountable.

If the same accident were to happen as a result of a problem in the
software that controls a fleet of elevators in a building, it is
extremely unlikely that we could establish what standards applied, let
alone who was accountable.

Almost all high-tech elevator pitches over the last few decades have
been built on immature software industry practices which are unregulated
and provide no evidence to justify our trust. The Trustable Software
project is working with engineers, regulators, sponsors to establish a
broadly useful framework for evidence-based asssessment of whether
software is trustable or not."

148 words. Any feedback or suggestions to improve this would be
gratefully received.

br
Paul