[trustable-software] The Elephant In the Elevator Pitch

Paul Sherwood paul.sherwood at codethink.co.uk
Sat Mar 30 18:15:18 GMT 2019

Thanks all for the feedback.

The 'circular argument' point is fair, but I think it's relatively
easily addressed - for example:

"If the elevator that we are in were to fall and crash into the floor
due to mechanical or civil engineering failure, our families and friends
would expect that subsequently it would be possible to establish what
had gone wrong, which standards and laws were broken, and who was
accountable.

If the same accident were to happen as a result of problems in software
controlling a fleet of elevators in a building, it is  extremely
unlikely that we could establish what regulations applied, let alone who
was accountable.

Almost all high-tech elevator pitches in recent decades have been built
on immature software industry practices which are unregulated and
provide no evidence to justify our trust. The Trustable Software project
is working with engineering, legal, compliance and insurance communities
to establish a broadly useful framework for evidence-based assessment of
the risks associated with creation and use of critical software."

My own concerns about this specific "pitch" are different, though:

1) while I do think it's an attention-grabber, is the reflexive
'elevator' example too joky for our topic?

2) by focusing on an accident/safety example do we risk creating the
wrong impression? our scope is broader than that, after all.

br
Paul