[Trustable-distros] Quartermaster and BuildStream

Agustín Benito Bethencourt agustin.benito at codethink.co.uk
Wed Oct 31 15:03:56 GMT 2018

Hi,

I have mentioned before within the BuildStream project how interesting would be to explore the combination of BuildStream and Quartermaster.

Quartermaster is an Open Source license compliance tool currently driven by Endocode[1], lead by Mirko Boehm, a well know KDE, FSFE and OIN member. The tool has already been presented in several events this year like t Akademy, Open Source Leadership Summit or OpenChain workshops.

The key point to me why I think this tool is interesting is because Quartermaster is designed to become part of the build toolchain, reducing the need to perform exhaustive checks prior to the releases or deployments, allowing faster and more efficient feedback loops between integrators, developers, software authors and lawyers inside and outside any organization.

Another interesting point is that Quartermaster is currently under heavy development, just like BuildStream, which means that we can influence its development to take advantage of a friction-less integration with BuildStream.

In summary, Quartermaster introduces compliance analysis at build time which opens the door to incorporate license analysis as a continuous integration practice, which would be a significant step further to reduce complex systems production lead times in potential BuildStream target users.   I think it perfectly fits the goals of the trustable distro project.

Quartermaster project

* Web: http://qmstr.org/
* Code: https://github.com/QMSTR
* Summary (slides): http://events17.linuxfoundation.org/sites/events/files/slides/%28FINAL%29Mr.%20Mirko%20Boehm.pdf